Mittwoch, April 08, 2009

What is a Sikh American?

In ihrem Bildband "Sikhs in America" widmet sich die Fotografin Fiona Aboud ...nun ... den Sikhs in Amerika.

Im Gespräch mit Photoshelter erklärt sie: "I began my photographic exploration of Sikhs in America as a personal education and exploration. Through out my life I have always strived to understand things that I feel are misunderstood by myself and society at large. After 9/11 when Balbir Singh Sodhi was gunned down in Mesa, Arizona on Sept. 15, 2001-- the nation's first post-9/11 victim of a hate crime -- the press did profiles on Sikhs and Sikhism explaining that they were not Muslim and giving people a sound byte of knowledge. Years later I still had the question: what is a Sikh American? What was their American experience like?"

Mehr Bilder aus dem Bildband unter sikhsinamerica.wordpress.com
(via Photoshelter/AD)